Prayer and Pits
I. Pit Falls in our Journey
A. What are pitfalls? – List things that make us fall away or distract us from God?
B. How are pitfalls different from Trials in life? Ex) We choose pitfalls. Ex) Job in his trials.
II. Purpose and why we pray?
A. To seek forgiveness so God can restore us… pits (Psalm 40:2)
B. To know God on a deeper level
C. To ask for guidance
III. Practical Application –
A. P-R-A-Y or A-C-T-S
1. If you have sin… God will not hear your prayers
a. Psalm 66:18- Sin and Separation
b. I John 1:9- Confession of sins
2. Look at Lord’s Prayer for explanation of PRAY- Matthew 6:9
* Prayer is an act of worship, addressed to the Father, in the name of the Son, and in the power of the Holy Spirit
3. Who should we pray to? – The Father (Matthew 6:9)
4. In whose name should we pray? The Son (John 14:6)
5. In whose power should we pray? The Holy Spirit (John 15:26 “The Holy Spirit will testify and teach things of God” (Romans 8:26 “Talks for us”
B. When and where should we pray?
1. Time- Mark 1:35
2. Place- Matt. 6:5-6
C. Answered Prayer
1. Ask- (Philippians 4:6-7) Let your requests be made know to God… His peace will…
2. If it is His will- I John 5:14-15
3. Believe and expect- Matthew 21:22