Meekness in the Bible:
Meek- Showing patience and humility, gentle.
The word “meek” is used about 22 times in the Bible.
Meek ties along with one of the Fruits of the Spirit- gentleness.
Historical significance of meekness:
• Jews took pride in their race
• The Romans, being the biggest and greatest empire, took pride in their power
• The Greeks took pride in their knowledge
• JESUS- Took on meekness and humility rather than pride and arrogance.
Why should we become meek?:
We are called to
Be Imitators of Christ- Ephesians 5:1
Be Holy for I am Holy- I Peter 1:16
Jesus sets examples of meekness for us to follow:
“Gentle and Lowly at heart…”
- Matthew 11:29
- Philippians 2:8
How to show meekness:
- I Peter 3:15- Answer everything with Meekness
- James 1:21- Receive God’s Word with Meekness
* Meekness in this verse refers to receiving God’s Word without resistance.
- Titus 3:2- Show Meekness and humility to all men
* In this verse, Paul was instructing the Cretans to live peacefully with everyone. Showing meekness and gentleness would show God’s love the others.
- Galatians 6:1- Restore others in spirit of gentleness
* “Any Trespass” refers to the works of the flesh… someone who is overtaken by sin needs to be approached with gentleness and meekness; not with pride.
Those who are meek will…
Be guided and taught
- Psalm 25:9
- If we have a humble spirit and teachable heart, God can guide and teach us.
Increase their joy
- Isaiah 29:19
Inherit the earth
- Matthew 5:5